Iran has decided to boycott the 2013 Oscars over the controversial video about the paedophile prophet Mohammed that has sparked outrage and protests from knuckle draggers around the Muslim world.
AP An Iranian film won an Oscar in the foreign film category in February. But Mohammed Hosseini said the Islamic Republic would not field an entry for next year’s awards due to the low-budget video he dubbed “an intolerable insult to the prophet of Islam,” the semiofficial ISNA news agency reported. Hosseini urged other Islamic countries to also boycott.
Earlier on Monday, Javad Shamaghdari, head of the government-controlled cinema agency, said the Oscars should be boycotted until the (Oscar) organizers denounce the anti-Islam film entitled “Innocence of Muslims,” which has prompted outrage among Muslims around the world.
“The position that Western politicians have adopted on these great insults are no different from a position of enmity,” Iranian media quoted Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei as saying on Monday.