Suicide bombers detonated an explosives-packed car outside the Indian consulate in the eastern Afghan city of Jalalabad on Saturday, killing at least eight civilians. “A car containing explosives hit a barrier near the consulate and detonated,” said Ahmadzia Abdulzai, spokesman for Nangarhar province “There were three suicide bombers in the car.”
Is this part of the end of Ramadan terror plot that forced the closing of all U.S. Embassies in Muslim countries?
Naharnet Nangarhar police chief Sharif Amin said that at least eight civilians had been killed and 22 wounded in the strike, with many children and old people among the victims. The casualty figures were confirmed by officials at the private hospital that received the dead and wounded.
Syed Akbaruddin, a spokesman for the Indian foreign ministry in New Delhi, said on his Twitter feed that the attack had been “in front” of the consulate, but that all officials were safe. India, which has spent more than two billion dollars of aid in Afghanistan since the Taliban regime fell in 2001, has been previously targeted in the war-torn country. In 2008, a car bomb attack on the Indian embassy compound killed more than 60 people and, in 2010, suicide attacks on two guesthouses killed at least 16 people including seven Indians.
“Our fighters have not carried out any attack in Jalalabad,” Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid told AFP. “We do not claim the responsibility for this attack.” Jalalabad is situated on the key route from the Pakistani border region — where many militants are based — to Kabul, and it has been the location of repeated attacks in recent years.