The baby-faced Australian teenager who joined Islamic State terrorists in the Middle East has reportedly blown himself up in a suicide bomb attack. The Islamic State jihadists released a photo showing 18-year-old Jake Bilardi inside a white van, which is he thought to have died in.
UK Daily Mail (h/t Susan K & several BNI Aussies) Bilardi travelled from Melbourne to the Iraqi city of Ramadi in the Islamic State stronghold of Anbar last year, saying that he went to ISIS ‘chasing death’. He is said to have carried out one of 13 suicide car bomb attacks on Iraqi army and security positions in Ramadi on Wednesday.
On Thursday, an image of Bilardi sitting in front of an Islamic State flag was posted to Twitter with the caption: ‘The Australian brother who carried out Martyrdom operation in Ramadi, Al Anbar.’
A separate Islamic State Twitter account posted a photo of Bilardi with caption: ‘Breaking News: Australian citizen Jake Bilardi aka Abu Abdullah carried the martyrdom operation in #Ramadi, #Iraq.’
The Bilardi family has been greatly upset by the news with his aunt, Connie, clearly heard crying from inside the family home after word came through of the suicide bombing.
Relatives have hunkered down in their Ascot Vale home, in Melbourne’s north-west, refusing to speak on the revelations. But his aunt had told Daily Mail Australia, in an earlier interview, that the teenager’s decision to join the ranks of ISIS ‘was devastating, just devastating’.
When asked earlier this week how the young man’s father was coping with the news his son was fighting with ISIS, his auntie’s emotional response was: ‘well, he’s not’.
Australian authorities have yet to confirm the 18-year-old died in the attacks, which killed at least 10 people and wounded 30.