UK Daily Mail A video purportedly released by ISIS has threatened to kill a Croatian father-of-two if Egyptian authorities do not release ‘Muslim women’ held in prison within 48 hours. Reading from a note, he identifies himself as 30-year-old Tomislav Salopek, and says ISIS fighters captured him on July 22.
If Egyptian authorities do not act, he says, he will be killed. ‘My name is Tomislav Salopek, I am 30 years old and I am coming from Croatia. I am married and I have two children,’ he tells the camera, also revealing he works for a French company and is based in Cairo.
Mr Salopek continues: ‘They want to substitute me with the Muslim womens arrested in Egyptian prisons. ‘This matter have to be achieved before 48 hours from now, if not the soldiers of Wilyat Sina will kill me.’ Wilyat Sina is the Arabic phrase for the Egyptian group calling itself the Sinai Province of the Islamic State.
According to LinkedIn, Mr Salopek is a topographer, and has previously worked in Syria, Egypt, Libya, Marocco, Iraq, Kurdistan and the Czech Republic.