The German government has condemned a “disgusting” incident where anti-Muslim migrant mobs “celebrated with unabashed shame” in front of a burning refugee shelter. Several onlookers clapped and cheered as a former hotel, which was being converted into an Muslim asylum seeker refuge, which would have housed 3900 freeloaders, caught fire in Saxony.
UK DAILY MAIL Blackened beams could be seen at a planned refugee centre in Bautzen on Sunday, after the building was burnt down in a suspected case of arson. Police in Bautzen, Saxony, said bystanders who witnessed the fire made ‘derogatory remarks’ and showed ‘unashamed joy’ at the inferno as firefighters worked furiously to douse the blaze.
Investigators found traces of a fire accelerant at the scene and believe it was caused by arson, police said. It wasn’t immediately clear whether the building can be restored. The fire broke out overnight, during which police ordered several people to leave the scene because they were hampering emergency services.
While some Germans have been welcoming toward refugees, a large number have staged protests in front of refugee homes, especially in the east. Germany last year saw a surge in violence against such lodgings. The former hotel was being converted into a refugee home, raising new concerns about violence toward migrants in a nation that registered more than a million asylum-seekers in 2015.
Saxony is home to the anti-Islam and anti-Muslim immigration group PEGIDA, and incidents there have caused concern before. In August, a mob in Heidenau, outside Dresden, hurled bottles and fireworks at police protecting a shelter being set up for refugees.
The Bautzen fire came after a mob in the small town of Clausnitz, also in Saxony, on Thursday screamed ‘We are the people!’ and ‘Go home!’ as they blocked a bus carrying asylum-seekers outside a new refugee home.
Police drew criticism in that case for roughly hauling some migrants off the bus into the building – which they insist was necessary to prevent the situation from escalating – and for saying that some of the migrants had made provocative gestures.
Saxony Governor Stanislaw Tillich called the two incidents ‘appalling and shocking’ and described the perpetrators as ‘criminals.’ ‘This is abhorrent and disgusting,’ Tillich told the Funke newspaper group. He pledged that authorities will investigate and ‘bring everyone responsible to account’.
Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said that everyone in Germany is entitled to express their concerns ‘but there is a threshold of decency and law that must not be crossed’. He added this threshold ‘was clearly crossed in the incidents in Saxony,’ news agency dpa reported.
‘It is completely unacceptable for people who are seeking protection from persecution here to be greeted with hatred and agitation,’ he said. (Most of them are not seeking protection, but rather seeking unlimited welfare benefits so they don’t have to work, seeking blonde women to sexually harass and rape, and seeking new targets for Islamic jihadists)
Members of Chancellor Angela Merkel’s left-right ‘grand coalition’ government, which has come under increasing pressure over its liberal stance on asylum, expressed outrage at the incidents.
‘Racists (what ‘race’ is Muslim?) are pathetic lawbreakers, a disgrace for our country. Shame on you!’ deputy foreign minister Michael Roth wrote on Twitter. ‘Those who shamelessly applaud when houses burn and scare refugees to death are displaying disgusting and revolting behaviour,’ Justice Minister Heiko Maas tweeted. (No, those who invited them in are disgusting and revolting traitors to their own people)