Earlier this week, Kris Kobach, Kansas Secretary of State and a member of Donald Trump’s presidential transition team, made the suggestion that the incoming administration is considering a national registry for Muslims and immigrants from countries where Muslim terrorists are active.
— ADL (@ADL_National) November 17, 2016
@JGreenblattADL – Go ahead, but just remember, not one proud Muslim would ever do the same for you.
PaperMag What’s more, a large number of constitutional experts say that legal precedent from the George W Bush-era would likely allow it to happen, as the Supreme Court has “consistently reaffirmed the power of the president to control the entry and exit from the country as a matter of national security,” according to George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley in an interview with Politico.
As a result, a new website called Register US is now calling on Americans of all stripes to pledge that they’ll also register as Muslim if/when the time comes.
REUTERS Kansas Secretary of State Kris Kobach, who helped write tough immigration laws in Arizona and elsewhere, said in an interview that Trump’s policy advisers had also discussed drafting a proposal for his consideration to reinstate a registry for immigrants from Muslim countries.
Kobach told Reuters last Friday that the immigration group had discussed drafting executive orders for the president-elect’s review “so that Trump and the Department of Homeland Security hit the ground running.”
To implement Trump’s call for “extreme vetting” of some Muslim immigrants, Kobach said the immigration policy group could recommend the reinstatement of a national registry of immigrants and visitors who enter the United States on visas from countries where extremist organizations are active.
Kobach helped design the program, known as the NSEERS (National Security Entry-Exit Registration System) while serving in Republican President George W. Bush’s Department of Justice after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks on the United States by al Qaeda militants.
Kobach told Reuters this week that he is pushing the President-elect to reinstitute the disbanded program.
Under NSEERS, people from countries deemed “higher risk” were required to undergo interrogations and fingerprinting on entering the United States. Some non-citizen male U.S. residents over the age of 16 from countries with active militant threats were required to register in person at government offices and periodically check in.
Trump surrogate Carl Higbie, who expressed support for such a registry in a Wednesday interview on Fox News, said that the forced imprisonment of some 110,000 people of Japanese ancestry living in the United States during World War II was a “precedent” for programs like NSEERS.
“It is legal. They say it’ll hold constitutional muster,” Higbie said. “I know the ACLU is going to challenge us, but I think it’ll pass. And we’ve done it with Iran back a while ago. We did it in World War II with Japanese.” Higbie said that Trump “needs to protect America first” and he supports a registry if it would help the country “identify the true threat, and where it’s coming from.”
NSEERS was abandoned by the Obama Regime in 2011 after it was deemed redundant by the Department of Homeland Security and criticized by civil rights groups for unfairly targeting immigrants from Muslim- majority nations.
Kobach was also the architect of a 2013 Kansas law requiring voters to provide proof-of-citizenship documents, such as birth certificates or U.S. passports, when registering for the first time. A U.S. appeals court blocked that law after challenges from civil rights groups.