two four 13 people killed at least 80 injured, 15 in critical condition after a speeding van in Las Ramblas in Barcelona plowed into pedestrians in popular resort area and two men entered a restaurant with guns.
UPDATE ISIS has claimed responsibility for the attack, describing the killers as ‘soldiers of the Islamic state.’ Two suspects reported in custody, two suspects killed.
UPDATE Terror attack in Barcelona leaves at least 13 dead and
32 80 injured after van crashes into crowds. Two armed attackers have now entrenched themselves in Turkish Kosher restaurant Luna de Estambul on Tallers Street and are holding people hostage. Police still hunting for van driver.
HORRIFIC images of dead/injured people in the streets after being mowed down by Muslim terrorists:
— Andrea 🥀🖤 (@andrealisetteA) August 17, 2017
FIRST PHOTO: One suspect in custody: A Spanish citizen with Arabic name, Driss Oukabir, from Melilla, one of the two Spanish enclaves in North-Africa.
UPDATE A man has come forward claiming that he is the real Driss Oukabir Soprano, and that his ID papers were stolen and he has wrongly been identified as a suspect in the Barcelona attack. The man, whose photograph was released to media as a suspect earlier in the evening, handed himself into police after seeing his image broadcast on television.
CLICK CC buttons for English subtitles:
Latest from FOX News:
Police found a passport in abandoned van belonging to Spanish national with Arabic surname:
Police report a possible second related incident where a second van ran into 3 Police officers at a checkpoint. One suspect with Arabic name arrested:
UPDATE Two armed attackers have now entrenched themselves in a bar on Tallers Street and are holding people hostage, and gunshots have reportedly also been heard inside a shop.
Catalan police are still hunting for the van attacker after he jumped out of the vehicle and fled on foot. Horrific footage shot from overhead showed terrified pedestrians screaming as they ran away from the scene, while others taken in the aftermath show at least five or six people lying on the floor covered in blood.
UK Daily Mail It is believed the van hit pedestrians outside of a kosher restaurant named ‘Maccabi’. Eyewitnesses reported seeing people running away and screaming after the incident happened.
Pictures and video emerging from the scene show police cars and ambulances near the Las Ramblas, a busy tree-lined promenade in the centre of the city.A local reporter said gunfire has been heard at the Corte Ingles store in the area after police announced the ‘massive crash’.
Police in Barcelona said they were dealing with a “terrorist attack” after a vehicle ploughed into a crowd of pedestrians on the city’s famous Las Ramblas boulevard.
FOX A van struck pedestrians in the Las Ramblas tourist area, in the center of the city in what local police are calling a terrorist attack.
The driver fled the scene on foot and local TV reports indicate armed men entered a restaurant shortly after the attack, taking hostages.
Guardian According to early reports, it sped down the centre of the road, which is usually packed with people, until it hit a newspaper kiosk and stopped. Witnesses spoke of panic and seeing people covered in blood. Several pushchairs could be seen abandoned at the side of the street.
Eyewitness Jordi Lino was on a bus going down the Ramblas: “First I saw people running and then the van,” he said. “There were injured people in the middle of the Ramblas.”
A taxi driver told TV3 that he saw people being run over by the van. TV3 said police sources had confirmed to it that one armed man was holed up in a Turkish restaurant near Las Ramblas and the Boqueria market.
At this stage police are saying the number of injured people is unknown.
CHECK BACK FOR UPDATES