Semi-trailers and large concrete bollards (popularly known as “Allahu Akbarriers”) were used to block streets in Sydney’s CBD to ensure the protection of those looking to snag a bargain at Boxing Day sales. The large tractor trailers were being used to prevent vehicle access in the streets surrounding Pitt Street Mall and the Queen Victoria building, a move that follows last week’s “car jihad” by an Afghan Muslim who slammed his vehicle into pedestrians on Flinders Street in Melbourne.
9 News (h/t Sara S) The security measure has effectively meant George, Market and Elizabeth Streets are shut down to anything but foot traffic.
A NSW Police spokesperson told 9News.com.au that similar measures were in place for last year’s Boxing Day sales.
“In light of the large number of people expected at Boxing Day sales, police have put traffic management and security measures in place,” the NSW Police spokesperson said.
The move came less than a week after a car driven by an Afghan Muslim terrorist ploughed through Flinders Street in Melbourne’s CBD. Two people remain in a critical condition following the rampage on Thursday.
NSW Police worked in conjunction with Transport for NSW to roll-out the preventative safety measure for the thousands of people venturing into the CBD to take advantage of the post-Christmas sales.
“While there is no specific threat, NSW Police continue to urge the public to be vigilant and report anything that doesn’t look right,” the NSW Police spokesperson said.
“The terrorist threat in Australia has not changed and the level remains at probable, under the National Terrorism Threat Advisory System.”