A suicide bomb has been set off at the entrance to a German open air music festival, killing at least one person (bomber) and prompting a massive police response. The Mayor of Ansbach, Carda Seidel, has confirmed to local media that the blast in the city’s centre was due to an explosive device.
UPDATE1 Turns out the suicide bomber was a Syrian Muslim invader who was rejected for asylum.
UPDATE 2: Muslim bomber pledged allegiance to ISIS, had received asylum in Bulgaria. The Syrian refugee who killed himself and wounded 15 people in a suicide bombing at a German music festival on Sunday used his cell phone to record a pledge of allegiance to ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi during the attack, officials said.
Breitbart Bavaria’s top security official says a man who blew himself up after being turned away from an open-air music festival in the southern German city of Ansbach was a 27-year-old Syrian who had been denied asylum.
Earlier this year German authorities had to admit they have lost track of around 130,000 migrants, stating: “about 13 per cent [of the over one million migrant total] did not turn up at the reception centres to which they had been directed”.
— stefi (@stefiamico) July 25, 2016
Daily Star A man has been been killed and up to 11 others injured – some seriously – after the blast ripped through the Eugens Weinstube wine bar at about 10pm on Sunday local time. The incident is believed to have been a suicide bombing – and the man killed was the attacker. (Some reports say the bomb went off prematurely)
The wine bar is just yards from a concert venue where 2,500 were enjoying the Ansbach Open Music Festival. It appears the festival was the bomber’s intended target.