So why did they just lower the terror alert level from ‘Critical’ to ‘Severe’ following a few more arrests made after the Manchester Muslim massacre which slaughtered 22 and injured nearly 60? The government is now assessing the likelihood of another Islamic terrorist attack to be “highly likely,” as opposed to “imminent.”
Yes, but with at least seven times more jihadists than previously estimated, shouldn’t the terror alert remain at the highest levels?
Breitbart The reduction is likely to have stemmed from the flurry of arrests in recent days, with 11 individuals now in police custody. British counter-terror boss Mark Rowley said a “large part” of the terror network that had been connected to bomber Salman Abedi had been dismantled by the arrests, But he said there were still “gaps in our understanding” of the plot, as investigators probed Abedi’s potential links to jihadis in Britain, Europe, Libya and the Middle East.
Despite that there were still “gaps in our understanding” of the conspiracy to kill, he said. The Prime Minister said “a significant amount of police activity” and the fresh arrests had contributed to an improved overall security picture, meaning the terror threat level could be knocked down a notch.
Government sources have confessed that there are at least 23,000 jihadists in Britain – more than seven times higher than previously revealed. Apparently, they can’t even keep track of the 3,000 jihadists they thought they had. What are they going to to about 23,000 now?
UK authorities have identified 23,000 potential jihadist extremists. The problem is much worse than we first thought. pic.twitter.com/Qu2Ap210kl
— Nigel Farage (@Nigel_Farage) May 26, 2017
Breitbart (h/t Emma) Until recently, the public had been led to believe there were around 3,000 known jihadists in Britain, with 500 being subject to active investigations led by MI5. Whitehall officials have now disclosed that a further 20,000 individuals have been identified as posing a “residual risk”, according to The Times.
Khalid Masood, who ran down a number of pedestrians and stabbed a police constable to death outside the Palace of Westminster in March 2017, was among the pool of individuals who had been reported to the authorities but was not under active surveillance.
Manchester Arena killer Salman Abedi, a son of Libyan refugees with Islamist links, had also been reported to the authorities, but, as with Masood, “limited resources” allowed him to slip through the surveillance net.
Senior National Co-ordinator for Counter-Terrorism Neil Basu revealed that terror suspects are being arrested “on a near daily basis” in Britain shortly after the Westminster attack – an early hint at the scale of the challenge which Britain faces.
Anthony Glees, the Centre for Security and Intelligence Studies director who recently estimated the number of jihadists in Britain at “between 6,000 and 10,000”, described the Whitehall revelations as “horrifying”. “To have 23,000 potential killers in our midst is horrifying. We should double the size of MI5, as we did in World War Two, and expand the number of intelligence-led police by thousands,” he said.
“We can’t go on as if this wasn’t happening.”
Colonel Richard Kemp, a former member of the COBRA committee and Joint Intelligence Committee, as well as commander of British forces in Helmand, Afghanistan, has also called for robust action, saying that all foreign nationals on the terror watch list who cannot be prosecuted should be deported or interned.
WATCH | Ex-COBRA chief calls to deport/intern jihadists: "We do not allow them to roam free on our streets to murder and maim our children." pic.twitter.com/KasdMBXoWm
— LEAVE.EU ?? (@LeaveEUOfficial) May 26, 2017