According to an opinion poll on immigration conducted by IFOP, in partnership with the Jean Jaures Foundation and the American Jewish Committee, 52% of French men and women believe that France welcomes “too many (Muslim) foreigners.” A further 27% believe that France has welcomed “enough,” meaning that a total of 79% of the country’s citizens believe that France should not welcome any more (Muslim) immigrants.
Voice of Europe (h/t Maurice)
The poll, which was published in the weekly Journal du Dimanche, also revealed that 64% of respondents agreed with the statement: “our country already has many foreigners and welcoming additional immigrants would be undesirable”.
77% said that they fear a policy that is too welcoming of immigrants, and 71% believe that excessive migration will lead to a decrease in wages, due to migrants’ willingness to work for lower pay.
In response to growing unrest caused by the migration crisis, Macron’s government has taken a more conservative approach to immigration in recent months, but pressure from the country’s citizens and members of the French National Rally Party is being but on the government to slow down migration even further.
With the majority of migrants having arrived from countries across the Middle East and North Africa, in particular Libya and Syria, Pew Research Center has predicted that Western Europe will see a dramatic rise in its Muslim population, with France forecast to see a rise from 8.8% in 2016 to 18.0% by 2050.