Greece’s government says it is suspending an emergency plan to build bigger detention camps for Muslim migrant and refugee-wannabes on the Greek islands near the Turkish coast, after mass protests from local residents and local authorities who strongly oppose the plan.
Voice of Europe Notis Mitarakis, the migration affairs minister, said Monday the plan announced last week has been put on hold until demands by authorities on the islands of Lesbos, Chios, Samos, Leros and Kos are discussed.
The government says it wants to replace existing overcrowded camps with closed facilities and has already issued land appropriation orders. But islanders staged protests against the proposed construction – setting up roadblocks on Lesbos – amid fears that the new sites would place an additional burden on their small communities.
Under a 2016 agreement between the European Union and Turkey, Lesbos and the four other islands have been used as natural barriers for illegal Muslim migrants and refugee-wannabes trying to reach the mainland of EU member Greece. That has resulted in serious overcrowding at the existing island camps and frequent riots and arson fires by the illegal invaders currently housed there.
ALSO SEE: GREECE: “We want our islands back, we want our lives back,” shout thousands of residents on Greek islands forced to host large camps of illegal alien Muslim invaders
Unhappy Muslim migrant wannabes create havoc on the Greek islands that are hosting them.