Four people were stabbed in
the terror attack and two are in critical condition. The Muslim terrorist arrived in France three years ago as an unaccompanied minor from Pakistan, but his identity was still being verified, France’s interior minister said.
AP News (h/t Theresa B) The main suspect in the double stabbing Friday outside the former Paris offices of a satirical newspaper where dozens were killed in 2015 was arrested a month ago for carrying a screwdriver but not on police radar for Islamic radicalization.
“But manifestly it’s an act of Islamist terrorism,” Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said in an interview with the France 2 television station. “Obviously, there is little doubt. It’s a new bloody attack against our country, against journalists, against this society.”
Two suspects were arrested separately shortly after the stabbing in which two people were wounded, although the links between the two suspects weren’t immediately clear. The main suspect, the young man wearing orange gym shoes, with a few speckles of blood on his forehead, was arrested on the steps of the Bastille Opera not far from the attack site, near the building where the weekly Charlie Hebdo was located before the 2015 attack.
France’s counterterrorism prosecutor said earlier that authorities suspect a terrorist motive because of the place and timing of the stabbings: in front of the building where Charlie Hebdo was based until the Islamic extremist attack on its cartoonists and at a time when suspects in the 2015 attack are on trial across town.
Prosecutor Jean-Francois Ricard said that the chief suspect in Friday’s stabbings was arrested, along with another person. Ricard said the assailant did not know the people stabbed, a woman and a man working at a documentary production company who had stepped outside for a smoke break.
In a tweet, Charlie Hebdo strongly condemned the stabbings. “This tragic episode shows us once again that fanaticism, intolerance, the origins of which will be revealed by the investigation, are still present in French society….There is no question of ceding anything,” the newspaper said.
UPDATE: Paris attack ‘was an act of terrorism’, says French interior minister as 18-year-old suspect is arrested after two journalists were hacked with a meat cleaver near Charlie Hebdo’s old offices – as four others are taken into custody.
DAILY MAIL Two men have been arrested after one was spotted with blood dripping from his clothes near the Opera Bastille and another was stopped at a Metro station. The main suspect is said to be 18-year-old Ali, who is known to the police, while the second man was described as a 33-year-old Algerian. (And if you believe this main suspect is 18 years old, there’a bridge in Brooklyn I’d like to sell you)
Three others were also later detained in relation to the attack, a judicial source told Reuters.
Dramatic pictures showed Ali, who had arrived in France as a minor claiming political asylum, crouching on the floor in a yellow Manchester City top and tracksuit bottoms.
The victims work for Premieres Lignes, a French news and video agency whose staff rushed to help Charlie Hebdo survivors after the rampage which killed 12 people.
One witness at the Bastille Plaza, Kader Alfa, said he ‘saw a guy that was in his 30s or 40s with an axe in his hand who was walking behind a victim covered in blood’. One police source said a machete had been found at the scene. Another police source said a meat cleaver had been found there.