Italian prosecutor Andrea Bonomo said in court on Saturday that there was no reason for former Interior Minister Matteo Salvini to stand trial for “kidnapping” on charges of illegally detaining hundreds of illegal alien Muslim invaders on a ship moored off the Italian coast in July 2019.
REMIX News Bonomo said in a preliminary hearing in Catania, Sicily, that Salvini should not be tried because his decision did not violate international treaties. “We also cannot talk about illegal detention because the Gregoretti Coast Guard vessel where the migrants were located was a so-called safe place to provide them with medical care,” he warned.
He added that the then government had supported Salvini’s decision and his overall position on the issue, also with regard to the cabinet’s call on the EU to discuss another mechanism for allocating migrants to countries within the EU.
Salvini has praised the prosecutor for his decision.
“I’m happy because today the public prosecution said there was no crime, no kidnapping, that I have respected national and international laws, that we have saved lives and awakened Europe. Hearing this pays me back for months and months of bitterness, so I will calmly return to my children and hope that this will be over on May 14,” Salvini said about the prosecutor telling the judge in the case that there was no crime.
Italian Island Overwhelmed as Migrant Boats Arrive Every Hour on Average https://t.co/qXNMhvBz4E
— Breitbart London (@BreitbartLondon) July 27, 2020
The decision on whether to continue the trial will be made on May 14. Salvini faces up to 15 years in prison if convicted. If sentenced to more than two years behind bars, he could be banned from holding public office for the next six years, making it impossible for him to run in the 2023 parliamentary elections.
This is the second such case charging Salvini for actions he took as interior minister, during which he banned all George Soros-funded NGO human trafficking ships from entering Italian ports.
During the blockade of ships with migrants, Salvini held the position of Minister of the Interior and Deputy Prime Minister in the coalition government of Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte. He claims that the decision is not just his, because the whole cabinet agreed on it.
RAIR Foundation In a video released last September by Matteo Salvini, he slammed the political trial for the charge of “kidnapping”, which in reality was preventing 164 potentially dangerous and illegal migrants from disembarking from a Soros-funded NGO ship last year. In August, Left-wing Italian senators voted 149 to 141 in favor of Salvini standing trial for “kidnapping” illegal migrants, making this seem more like a political trial or a witch hunt than a legal matter.
“I will go on trial because I blocked the disembarkation of illegal immigrants into our country” declared the former Deputy PM, Savini in front of his supporters in Manduria, where he was campaigning for the Lega Party in the regional elections.
Salvini was pushed out of his position in the Conte government on the orders of Angela Merkel, for whom his hardline position on ending illegal Muslim immigration went against everything she stands for. Despite the trial, Salvini remains the most popular politician in Italy and has a good chance of being elected prime minister in the next election.